Gautam Buddha, the founder of Buddhism, was a great scholar, meditator and spiritual teacher and guru, who lived in ancient India. He taught the lessons of non-violence, love, truth, renunciation, and peace. His teachings were not mere preaching, but they were based on experience.
Here are the best Buddha quotes:
1. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
2. There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
3. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
4. It is easy to see the faults of others, but difficult to see one’s own faults.
5. It is better to travel well than to arrive.
6. The root of suffering is attachment.
7. Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.
8. Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
9. The mind is everything. What you think you become.
10. All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
11. You only lose what you cling to.
12. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
13. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
14. It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you.
15. If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.
16. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
17. To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one’s own in the midst of abundance.
18. True love is born from understanding.
19. Pain is certain, suffering is optional.
20. I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
21. To understand everything is to forgive everything.
22. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
23. You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.
24. Those who have failed to work toward the truth have missed the purpose of living.
25. Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.
26. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
27. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
28. If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking.
29. Health is the greatest gift, contentment is the greatest wealth.
30. If you knew what I know about the power of giving, you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.
31. In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?
32. One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world.
33. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
34. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
35. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.