Common nouns are the names given to things, places, or people which are of same kind. Example: boy, girl, river, table.
Proper nouns are the names of particular persons, places, animals, or things. Proper nouns are always written in capital letters. Examples: John, Mary, New York.
Q. Match the common nouns with proper nouns.
- man – George
- woman – Emma
- city – London
- language – Spanish
Q. Find the common noun and proper noun in the following sentences.
- Oliver is a good boy.
- Arabian Nights is a popular book.
- The name of my school is Saint Paul School.
- The players are playing football on the field.
- New York is a modern city.
- Common noun: boy Proper noun: Oliver
- Common noun: book Proper noun: Arabian nights
- Common noun: school Proper noun: Saint Paul School
- Common noun: players, football Proper noun:
- Common noun: city Proper noun: New York