- The positive degree is used when no comparison is made. Example: Emma is a good girl.
- The comparative degree is used to compare two persons or things. Example: Emma is better than George.
- The superlative degree can be used to compare more than two things. It denotes the highest degree of quality. Example: Emma is the best of all.
Q. Change the degrees of comparison according to the instructions given in the brackets.
- Sohail is the best student in the group. (Positive)
- Shimla is cooler than any other place. (Superlative)
- He believes he is smarter than his friends. (Positive)
- The Taj Mahal is the most beautiful monument in Agra. (Comparative)
- Annu is more popular than any girl in the school. (Superlative)
- Sohail is a good student.
- Shimla is the coolest place.
- He believes he is smart.
- The Taj Mahal is better looking monument than Red Fort.
- Annu is the most popular girl in the school.
Q. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the words given in brackets.
- Make _______ noise. (little)
- Prevention is _______ than cure. (good)
- You are _______ than I expected. (late)
- He is the _______ man in the college. (handsome)
- Rama is _______ than Mohan. (tall)