1. An artist’s only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else’s.
2. Know your true measurements and dress your mind accordingly.
3. The world is full of actors pretending to be human.
4. Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
5. Poets are always taking the weather so personally. They’re always sticking their emotions in things that have no emotions.
6. A child is a guest in the house, to be loved and respected — never possessed, since he belongs to God.
7. I’m sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.
8. You take somebody that cries their goddam eyes out over phoney stuff in the movies, and nine times out of ten they’re mean bastards at heart.
9. Mothers are all slightly insane.
10. I’m quite illiterate, but I read a lot.
11. I like it when somebody gets excited about something. It’s nice.
12. If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she’s late?
13. How do you know you’re going to do something, untill you do it?
14. People never notice anything.
15. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.
16. The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
17. I don’t know what good it is to know so much and be smart as whips and all if it doesn’t make you happy.
18. She wasn’t doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.
19. There are still a few men who love desperately.
20. Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.
21. The human voice conspires to desecrate everything on Earth.
22. I don’t care what you say about my race, creed, or religion but don’t tell me I’m not sensitive to beauty.
23. This is God’s universe, buddy, not yours, and he has the final say about what’s ego and what isn’t.
24. I’m sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.
25. All morons hate it when you call them a moron.
26. I have so much I want to tell you, and nowhere to begin.