A group of words that makes sense but not complete sense and does not have a finite verb is called a phrase.
A clause is a group of words that forms part of a sentence and has a subject and a finite ver of its own. It may or may not stand on its own.
Q. Decide whether the group of words in bold is a clause or a phrase.
- She said that she will attend the cooking session.
- He lived in Chennai once upon a time.
- Meera must work hard so that she could pass the exam with good marks.
- His sister is as intelligent as she is pretty.
- Mohit could not come because he was busy.
Q. Fill in the blanks with phrases or clauses to complete the sentences.
- Sangeeta lives in the house ________________.
- I tried to ________________ but failed.
- ________________ when I visited her.
- ________________ is what I admire.
- He opened the door ________________.