A possessive adjective is a word that shows possession by a noun that follows it.
- My aim is to become an astronaut.
- Peter is her good friend.
- The dog was wagging its tail.
- The fowler threw his net and some pigeons were trapped in it.
- They did not mind their business well.
My, her, its, his and their in the above examples indicate the sense of possession or belonging of the nouns aim, good friend, tail, net and business, respectively.
Possessive adjectives are the possessive cases of personal pronouns.