A pronoun is a word that is used in place of nouns. Pronouns avoid unnecessary and frequent repetition of nouns in a sentence or paragraph.
- My name is Abdul. I am a student.
- The criminal was jailed. He had killed a man.
- My friend and I started our journey to Goa. We reached there safely.
- A snake came out of a hole. It then slithered into a bush.
- Emily, you need to work hard. You have got poor marks this time.
The highlighted word I, He, We, It, and You are pronouns that are used in place of the nouns Abdul, criminal, My friends, Snake, and Emily, respectively.