Q. What do the following phrases mean to you? Discuss in class.
- humid shadows
- starry spheres
- what a bliss
- a thousand dreamy fancies into busy being start
- a thousand recollections weave their air-threads into woof
- Humid shadows: These are the shadows of different things which become wet during the rainy season.
- Starry spheres: The area where stars appear in a group in the sky.
- What a bliss: The poet feels happy when he listens to the rain drops.
- A thousand dreamy fancies into busy being start: The poet starts recollecting the past and finds himself lost in reveries and dreams in the rainy weather.
- A thousand recollections weave their airthreads into woof: The poet recollects hundreds of memories in the rainy season. They weave a weft with the help of air-threads.
Q. What does the poet like to do when it rains?
Ans. The poet likes to be in his room with his mother. He considers it a state of ecstacy.
Q. What is the single major memory that comes to the poet? Who are the “darling dreamers” he refers to?
Ans. The poet’s mother is the single major memory that comes to the poet. ‘Darling dreamers’ are those ‘kids’ who remember their mothers like the poet.
Q. Is the poet now a child? Is his mother still alive?
Ans. No, the poet is not a child. His mother is no more. But her memories haunts him.
Q. When you were a young child, did your mother tuck you in, as the poet’s did?
Ans. Yes, my mother used to tuck me in when I was a child. Whenever I said that I could not do that, she embraced me and took me in her lap to get that work done. She used to feel sad and dejected if I was involved in any mishap.
Q Do you like rain? What do you do when it rains steadily or heavily as described in the poem?
Ans. Yes, I like rain and prefer to take a bath for some time. But when it rains heavily, I stay inside and enjoy the beauty of nature.
Q. Does everybody have a cosy bed to lie in when it rains? Look around you and describe how different kinds of people or animals spend time, seek shelter, etc. during rain.
Ans. No, everybody is not so fortunate to have a cosy bed to lie in when it rains. There are some people who live at railway platforms and bus terminal. They don’t have the bed sheet what to talk of comfortable beds. There are so many animals which don’t have any shelter and tremble under the dark sky in the rainy season.