Q. With your partner try to guess the meaning of the underlined phrases:
- And somehow we fell out.
- The afternoon turned black.
- fell out – quarrelled.
- turned black – was spoiled due to our tense mood.
Q. Read these lines from the poem. Discuss with your partner what these lines mean.
- One thing led to another
- he start of it was slight
- The end of it was strong
- The afternoon turned black
- Thumped me on the back.
- We went on arguing. One thing led to another.
- The beginning or the cause of the quarrel was minor/ petty.
- The quarrel ended on a very bitter note. We started hating each other.
- The quarrel spoiled our mood. The afternoon became unbearably bad.
- Patted on the back in a friendly manner.
Q. Describe a recent quarrel that you have had with your brother, sister or friend. How did it start? What did you quarrel about? How did it end?
Ans. Rahul is my best friend. But one day our relationship turned sour suddenly. He did not come to my birthday party. I lost temper, so did he. He remained tense and unhappy for a couple of days. Both of us were eager to patch up. And we did it in a dramatic manner. We came face to face in the school tuck shop. We shook hands, felt sorry and promised to renew our friendship as earlier.