The difference in the ways of thinking and perception in the people of two different generations, which results in behavioural differences and sometimes, conflict among them is usually called generation gap.
Generation gap is generally seen in the family between parents and their children. It is not only because of the gap in age, but also because of the way parents react to a particular situation. Children being very young and immature do not understand the way of thinking of their parents. In many cases, the parents, even if they are matured, do not empathize with the changing values and thinking pattern of the modern world. This creates a communication gap between these two generations.
Generation gap between parents and children is mostly caused by parents themselves. They do not talk openly to their children and do not take part in solving their problems. This behaviour gives the impression about parents being authoritative persons, because they only dictate without understanding the problems faced by their children. As a result, the children become mentally isolated from their parents. Some parents become so busy with their work that they don’t spend quality time with their family, which makes them completely unaware of how their children are growing, what kind of mentality is being developed in them, and so on. This ultimately creates a gap between them. They only realize it when it is too late.
Changes in technology have led to the generation gap in this modern world. Children tend to spend most of their time with their digital devices and are so busy with social media, that they do not discuss their problems with their parents. The internet provides solutions to most of the worldly problems. So children, instead of contacting their own parents, seek the help of internet in case of any problem, thus again reducing the communication, leading to a generation gap between them.
The generation gap has greatly increased these days because the time is changing fast and people find it difficult to cope up with this change. To overcome this problem, parents should show interest in all matters of their children and deal with them positively instead of just scolding them and leaving them alone to deal with their problems. Giving time to the children, having open communication, and allowing the child to feel free and not in any kind of pressure, will eventually reduce the generation gap to a tolerable extent.
Answer any four of the following questions:
- What causes the gap between the parents and their children?
- Why is generation gap there in the families?
- Why do children view their parents as dictatorial?
- How has advancement in technology led to the generation gap?
- What steps need to be taken to bridge this gap?
- What is meant by the word, ‘particular’?
- What is meant by the word, ‘isolated’? (Para 3)
- What is the antonym of the word, ‘solutions’? (Para 5)
- What is the antonym of the word, ‘reduce’?
- Most of the parents don’t spend ___________ time with their family.
- The gap between the parents and children is caused firstly, due to the difference in the ways of thinking, which leads to misunderstanding. Secondly, due to the way parents react to a particular situation and immaturity on the part of children to understand various situations. Parents don’t empathize with changing values.
- There is generation gap due to age gap and the way the parents react to a particular situation.
- Parents often do not talk openly to their children. They usually dictate without understanding the problems faced by their children.
- Children spend most of their time with digital devices and there is no communication with parents.
- Parents should show interest in all the matters of their children, should have open communication, should allow children to put forth their views and should show positivity.