Good health is the soundness of body, mind and soul. It is that condition in which the body and mind duly discharge their functions. Good health helps everyone to be creative and work for the welfare of the society. He has to be, therefore, free from diseases : or, if he suffers from a disease he needs treatments not only for that particular disease but for the whole body, mind and soul. In other words, a doctor has to have a sound approach to the patients.
In these days of specialization, doctors cure a patient only for his immediate disease, treating it in isolation. Such an approach goes against the old aphorism that “prevention is better than cure”. Dr. Hedge provides insight into the overall causes of simple and serious disease and describes the methods of preventing them without having to take medicine but exercising, self-control on food consumption, smoking and intake of alcoholic drinks. He also advocates regular yoga exercise and meditation to keep fit, but at the same time warns against over indulgence.
Hedge stresses the importance of laughter because, laughter induces secretion of good catecholamine which is hormone, produced by adrenal glands; they can be both beneficial and harmful. They are harmful when a person is angry, but beneficial if he laughs. For a healthy living, “Laughter proves to be great boon,” Hedge says.
In these days of hectic life, full of stress, strain and emotions, everyone needs to lead a relaxed life. The best form of relaxation, according to Hedge, is sound sleep. “Restful sleep at night will recharge our batteries for the following day’s fruitful endeavour,” he says. There is no use of lying on the bed and tossing without sleep. Under those circumstances it is better to read or engage oneself in some light mental activities which are useful. But never seek refuge in alcoholic drinks or pills for inducing sleep, as these are not refreshing for an individual. For a normal human being, eight hours of sleep a day is sufficient to keep him free from stress. More than nine to ten hours of sleep a day would produce increased muscle protein, loss in the body and might even shorten one’s life.
Society must be sympathetic to drug addicts, understand their problems and gave up help to them by motivating and keeping them busy. Alcoholic anonymous may help addicts kick their habit of drug abuse and excess drinking. Hedge claims that cigarette smoking causes more premature deaths than all other “Killers” put togethers—AIDS, cocaine, heroin, alcohol, fire, automobile accidents, homicide and suicide. Ninety per cent of cancer victims are heavy smokers. The author stresses on the right type of diet daily exercise for healthy living. He has also talked of the danger of over-exercising in these days of fitness mania.
Q. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer the following questions:
- According to Hedge, what is the importance of laughter?
- What is the best form of relaxation in these days of hectic life? How?
- What do you mean by Good Health? How does it help?
- Write do’s and dont’s for sleep.
- In para 2, the word which means ‘satisfaction’ is_____________.
- In para 4, the word which means ‘very busy’ is ____________.
- In para 4, the word opposite in meaning to ‘preventing’ is ____________.
- In para 5, the word opposite in meaning to ‘cruel’ is ___________.
- Laughter induces secretion of good catecholamine which is hormone produced by adrenal glands. They can be both beneficial and harmful. They are harmful when a person is angry but beneficial if he laughs.
- In these days of hectic life, the best form of relaxation is sound sleep. Restful sleep at night recharges our batteries for the following day.
- Good Health is the soundness of body, mind and soul. It is the condition in which the body and mind duly discharge their functions. Good health helps everyone to be creative and work for the welfare of the society.
- Do’s: For a normal human being, eight hours of sleep a day is sufficient to keep him free from stress. Recharges our body. Don’t: Never seek refuge in alcoholic drinks or pills for inducing sleep. Don’t sleep more than nine to ten hours a day. It would produce increased muscle protein.