National Anthems are sung or played on special occasions in almost all the countries of the world. They are patriotic songs, sung as a mark of honour to the countries concerned. These are sung to inspire patriotic feelings in people. It is believed that ‘Kim Gao’ song sung in Japan, was the first national anthem of the world. Our national anthem was written by Rabindra Nath Tagore and was sung for the first time at Kolkata session of the Congress in 1911. On 24th January, 1950, it was adopted as the national anthem of India. ‘Vande-Matram’, a patriotic song written by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee has also been given the status almost similar to that of national anthem.
Answer the following questions:
- What is national anthem?
- When is national anthem sung?
- Who wrote our national anthem and when was it adopted?
- Which song is given almost equal status as national anthem?
- Find words which mean the same: (a) Respect (b) Love for country
- National Anthem is the patriotic song sung or played as a mark of honour for the country.
- National Anthem is sung on special occasions.
- Our National Anthem was written by Rabindra Nath Tagore and was first sung at the Kolkata session of the Congress in 1911.
- ‘Vande-Matram’ a patriotic song has been given equal status as National Anthem.
- (a) Honour (b) Patriotic.