A verb is a word that denotes an action or predicts a fact. Verbs can be principal or auxiliary. Principal verbs denote an action whereas auxiliary verbs help the main verbs.
Verb Exercises with Answers
Q. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb:
- The snake went away without ___________ the child. (harm)
- He refused ___________ me into his room. (admit)
- I am willing to beg that I may be ___________ (forgive)
- ___________ and do not leave off in a hurry. (begin)
- His speech was ___________ universally. (applaud)
- He ___________ for his watch for a long time, but in vain. (search)
- It ___________ me ___________ a fine on you. (pain, inflict)
- He ___________ the show three times. (repeat)
- We must ___________ our rules. (obey)
- I do not ___________ the consequences. (fear)
- to admit
- pains, to inflict
Q. Fill in the blanks with the correct verb forms, choosing from the alternatives given in the brackets:
- He and his brother (was/ were) present in the function.
- Time and tide (waits/ wait) for none.
- Bread and butter (is/ are) a wholesome food.
- The poet and philosopher (are/ is) dead.
- The orator and the statesman (has/ have) arrived.
- Each day and each hour (brings/ bring) as a fresh anxiety.
- Either Mohan or Sohan (are/ is) in the wrong.
- Neither iron nor coal (is/ are) to be found in that country.
- Neither my brother nor I (am/ are) happy.
- Roman, as well as his friend (has/ have) won the prize.
Q. Correct the following sentences:
- The general as well as his staff were there.
- Plucking flowers are forbidden.
- Neither John nor James were present in the school yesterday.
- The secretary and treasurer take a walk every morning.
- John as well as Tom are waiting for you. 6. Mohan with his friends were caught.
- Every boy and every teacher have his own looks.
- The study of mathematics require brains.
- The scholar and the poet is dead. 10. Every one of the men were punished.
- The general as well as his staff was there.
- Plucking flower is forbidden.
- Neither John nor James was present in the school yesterday.
- The secretary and treasurer takes a walk every morning.
- John as well as Tom is waiting for you.
- Mohan with his friends was caught.
- Every boy and every teacher has his own looks.
- The study of Mathematics requires brain.
- The scholar and the poet are dead.
- Every one of the men was punished.