Q. What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was it really?
Ans. Patrick thought that his cat was playing with a little doll. It was, in fact, a very small-sized man, an elf.
Q. Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish?
Ans. Patrick had saved the tiny man’s life from the cat by not handing him back to the cat. So he promised to fulfil one wish of Patrick.
Q. What was Patrick’s wish?
Ans. Patrick hated doing homework. His greatest wish was that the little man should do all his homework till the end of the session.
Q. In what subjects did the little man need help, to do Patrick’s homework?
Ans. The little man needed Patrick’s help in maths, English and history.
Q. How did Patrick help him?
Ans. Patrick sat beside the little man and guided him. He brought books from the library and read out to him.
Q. Who do you think did Patrick’s homework – the little man, or Patrick himself? Give reasons for your answer.
Ans. It was Patrick himself who actually did all the homework. He had to help the elf again and again with guidance and books.
Q. Fill in the blanks in the sentences below with the words or phrases from the box.
out of luck, mystery, true to his word, chores, semester, between you and me, look up
- Some people find household _____________ a bore, but I like to help at home.
- Who stole the diamond is still a ________________.
- This _______________ we are going to have a class exhibition.
- _________________, the elf began to help Patrick.
- Can you ______________ this word in the dictionary?
- I started early to be on time, but I was ______________. There was a traffic jam!
- She says she’s got a lot of books, but ____________ I think most of them are borrowed.
- True to his word
- look up
- out of luck
- between you and me
Q. Use the clues given below to complete this crossword puzzle.
- Very tired
- had an angry look on the face
- short trousers
- a fault in a machine that prevents it from working properly
- a small and naughty boy-fairy.
- work that must be done everyday, often boring
- a basket with a lid
- gave a short, high-pitched cry
Q. Rewrite the following incomplete sentences carefully, so that the reader does not have to guess what is left out.
- more and more books.
- too difficult.
- got up late, missed the bus.
- solved the mystery.
- This personal question is too difficult to answer.
- The writers and poets read more and more books.
- When I got up late yesterday morning, I missed the school bus.
- Lord Krishna solved the mystery of life after death.