Bible is read to find the best answers to the many problems of life and death. Much that is valuable in Bible is recorded in events or in parables, and for all young minds and for nearly all older intellects, the doctrines, the alarms, the benedictions, the promises, the hopes are treasured up in incidents which might be thrown upon canvas or carved out of marble.
Faith is seen in the picture of Abraham; patriotism, courage, honor, piety in Moses; justice in the story of Lot’s wife; eternal friendship in Ruth; reckless ambition in Absalom; resignation in Job; faithfulness in Daniel; while in the New Testament the pictures offered in the Christ, the Marys, the Johns and St. Paul have been too many and too great for art to equal.
There is a good deal in the Bible that a child cannot understand, and the queer names make it very hard reading. The aim is to tell the story simply, and in Bible language, so that the children can read it themselves, and learn to love and prize it as the best of all books.
The writer has detached from the Bible the historic incidents, and while they make a continuous record of the old and the new dispensations, they are separated from that which is too abstract to detain and impress the youngest readers. While the young folks are reading these stories they will find not only the religious truths they all need, but they will also find the simplicity and power of their own English language.
- The Story of Abraham – The Man of Faith
- The Story of Daniel
- The Story of David and Saul
- The Story of Elijah
- The Story of Elisha
- The Story of How God Made the World
- The Story of Jacob and Esau
- The Story of Jacob and Rachel
- The Story of Job
- The Story of Jonah
- The Story of Joseph and His Brethren
- The Story of Joshua and Jephthah
- The Story of Moses
- The Story of Queen Esther
- The Story of Ruth
- The Story of Ruth and Boaz
- The Story of Saint Stephen – The First Martyr
- The Story of Samson – The Strongest Man
- The Story of Samuel – The Child of God
- The Story of Samuel – The Man of God
- The Story of Saul of Tarsus
- The Story of Solomon – The Wise Man
- The Story of the Crucifixion of Jesus
- The Story of the Early Life of Jesus
- The Story of the Flood and the Tower of Babel
- The Story of the Great Commission