A paragraph is a unit of composition in which one idea or one thought is developed by means of examples or supporting details. Thus, a paragraph is a complete and systematic discussion of one-single thought.
A descriptive paragraph describes a thing, a person, or place or an event. Detailed information allows the reader to form an image in his or her imagination. The better the description, the clearer the image. Using the description allows the reader to form a better mental image of whatever is being described.
The purpose of descriptive writing is to make our readers see, feel, and hear what we have seen, felt, and heard. Whether we are describing a person, a place or a thing our aim is to reveal a subject through vivid and carefully selected details.
Features of Paragraph
Unity: The most important feature of a paragraph is unity. That means all the sentences in a paragraph should bring out only one thought, idea or subject. Its unity is seen in the way its sentences hold together to express that idea or subject. All sentences revolve round the main idea of the topic. The unity of the paragraph is thus upheld by the logically arranged facts in a natural sequence with all the points converging on the main idea.
Coherence: Coherence means that all the sentences in a paragraph should be well connected to one another as well as to the central theme. It means that each sentence should naturally follow the previous sentence and should naturally lead to the next. If we unite all the sentences in a systematic manner, we should be able to achieve coherence.
Emphasis: We may be combining in our paragraph a few ideas or a few events related to the central subject. These ideas or events may not be equally important and some of those may be more important in comparison to others. Emphasis means that each idea or event should be given as much importance as it deserves in relation to the central point.
Variety: In a paragraph, sentences should be of varied length and there should also be a variety in their construction.
Paragraph Writing Topics
- Paragraph on A Day of Election
- Paragraph on A Stormy Night
- Paragraph on A visit to a Zoo
- Paragraph on An Hour Before the Examination
- Paragraph on An Unforgettable Journey
- Paragraph on An Unpleasant Dream
- Paragraph on Beauty of Nature
- Paragraph on Being Human in Age of Artificial Intelligence
- Paragraph on Bermuda Triangle
- Paragraph on Best Way to Serve God is to Serve Humanity
- Paragraph on Books are Man’s Best Companion
- Paragraph on Christmas Party
- Paragraph on Color Prejudice in India
- Paragraph on Computer
- Paragraph on Cricket Match
- Paragraph on Fashion Among Students
- Paragraph on Gifts of Science
- Paragraph on If I Were a Bird
- Paragraph on Importance of Sports and Games
- Paragraph on Importance of Trees
- Paragraph on Independence Day
- Paragraph on Journey You Have Undertaken
- Paragraph on Kashmir, The Paradise of India
- Paragraph on Life in a Hostel
- Paragraph on Mahatma Gandhi – The Father of the Nation
- Paragraph on Mobiles Everywhere
- Paragraph on My Family
- Paragraph on My Favourite Book
- Paragraph on My Favourite Game
- Paragraph on My Neighbour
- Paragraph on My Pet
- Paragraph on My School
- Paragraph on Narendra Modi
- Paragraph on Person I Admire the Most
- Paragraph on Population Explosion
- Paragraph on Rani Laxmi Bai of Jhansi
- Paragraph on Republic Day
- Paragraph on Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel
- Paragraph on Shivaji – Hero of Indian History
- Paragraph on Should Robot Replace the Human Teacher?
- Paragraph on Sports Day Celebration in School
- Paragraph on Studying Three Languages at School
- Paragraph on Trees
- Paragraph on Trip to Chhattisgarh
- Paragraph on Uses and Abuses of Mobile Phones
- Paragraph on Visit to a Historical Place
- Paragraph on Visit to Cambodia
- Paragraph on Visit to Flower Exhibition