Writing a formal letter is a great way to engage people with a topic you are passionate about and to influence public opinion. These letters have set patterns and are generally written to to officials regarding serious issues. These letters can be written in a clear pattern and matter-of-fact style. The language should be kept simple without including any unnecessary expression.
Main Parts of a Formal Letter
- Sender’s Address: A formal letter begins with the address of the sender. According to the latest format, the address is written at the left hand corner. Write the House number and Street number in the first line and the name of the city in the second line. While writing the address, you must not use ‘comma’ at the end of each line.
- Date: Date should be written after leaving some space after sender’s address. Always write the date in full. For example 10th January, 20X.X.
- Receiver’s Address: After the date, the address of the receiver is written.
- Subject: After leaving some space, the subject of the letter should be written. It includes the main objective of the letter in the fewest possible words, yet clear in approach.
- Salutation: Begin the letter in a formal manner by addressing the receiver as Sir/Madam.
- The Body: The body or content of the letter consists of three main points : introduction, content and conclusion.
- Complimentary Close: The letter ends in a formal manner by using yours sincerely or yours truly. The letter ‘Y’ of ‘Yours’ is always capital.
- Name: It is mentioned just below the ‘Complimentary Close’ and includes sender’s name. One must try to write the name in full (along with surname) in a formal letter.
Formal Letter Format
Formal Letter Topics
Letter to Editor
- Attacks on Old People
- Neglect of Parks
- Affordable Accommodation for Students
- Help Road Accident Victims
- Increasing Number of Old Age Homes
- >> Letter to Editor >>
- Complaint for Defective Pair of Shoes
- Complaint Regarding the Flat
- Complaint for Poor Bus Service
- Complaint for Defective Book
- Complaint for Chaotic Conditions in Casualty Department
- >> Complaint Letter >>
- Issuing the Duplicate Certificates
- Enquiry about Coaching Centre
- Conducted Pilgrimage Tours
- Charge for XII Farewell Party
- NDA Coaching Classes
- Accommodation for Yourself
- >> Enquiry Letter >>
- Placing Order for Electronic Goods for Hostel
- Placing Order for Sports Articles for School
- Placing Order for Books
- Order for Sports Equipment for School
- Order for Educational Toys and Play Equipment
- Order for Musical Instruments for School
- >> Placing an Order Letter >>
Order Cancellation Letter
- Letter: Cancelling Order for Textbooks
- Letter: Returning Defective Sports Goods
- >>Order Cancellation Letter >>
- Intensive Leadership Training Programme
- Political Science Post Graduate Teacher
- >> Job Application Letter >>
Letter to Principal
- Attending School Late
- Enquiring about Diploma Course in Lab Technology
- Introduction of Vocational Stream
- Improper facilities of Drinking Water
- Irregular Bus Service
- >> Letter to Principal >>
Request / Others
- Request Traffic Regulation Around School
- Permission to Participate in Half Marathon
- Requesting a Bus Stop for Village
- Letter to Police Commissioner on Road Rage