If you are addicted to coffee and doctors warn you to quit the habit, don’t worry and just keep relishing the beverage, because it is not that bad after all! In fact, according to a new study, the steaming cup of Java can beat fruits and vegetables as the primary source of antioxidants. Some studies state that coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet, and both caffeinated and decaf versions appear to provide similar antioxidant levels.
Antioxidants, in general, have been linked to a number of potential health benefits, including protection against heart diseases and cancer, but Vinson, a dietician said that their benefits ultimately depend on how they are absorbed and utilized in the body. The research says that coffee outranks popular antioxidant sources like tea, milk, chocolate and cranberries. Of all the foods and beverages studied, dates actually have the most antioxidants based solely on the serving size, but since dates are not consumed anywhere near the level of coffee, the drink comes as the top source of antioxidants, Vinson said.
Besides keeping you alert and awake, coffee has been linked to an increasing number of potential health benefits, including protection against liver and colon cancer, type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s disease, according to some recently published studies.
The researchers, however, advise that one should consume coffee in moderation, because it can make you jittery and cause stomach pains.
Q. Answer the following questions:
- What are the two versions of coffee that is drunk in America?
- Benefit of __________ is that it protects us against heart disease and cancer.
- Name any two popular sources of antioxidants.
- What is the synonym of ‘chief’ as given in para 1?
- Who is Vinson in the paragraph?
- A Doctor
- A Health consultant
- A Nutritionist
- A Dietician
- Of all the foods and beverages studied, __________ actually have most antioxidants.
- Which beverage helps in preventing against liver and colon cancer?
- Hot chocolate
- It is a type of diabetes
- Type 5
- Type 4
- Type 3
- Type 2
- Caffeinated and decaf versions are the two versions of coffee consumed in America.
- Dates, Coffee, Tea, Milk, Chocolate, Cranberries
- Vinson is a dietician
- Coffee helps in preventing against liver and colon cancer.
- Type 2