Q. Read the lines in which the following phrases occur. Then discuss with your partner the meaning of each phrase in its context.
- velvet grass
- drinking straws
- meadow houses
- amazing mound
- fuzzy head
- ‘Walk softly through the velvet grass’. The word ‘velvet’ means soft and smooth. The grass in the grasslands or pastures is soft like velvet.
- ‘And unfold the drinking straws’. There are very thin and hollow stems of the flower. The butterfly draws nectar like juices through those straw.
- ‘Explore the meadow houses.’ The burrows or holes made in the ground by hares, and other animals.
- ‘The ant’s amazing mound’. The ant makes a wonderful small hill of mud.
- ‘A dandelion whose fuzzy head’. The soft fibre like head of dandelion flowers.