The Chinese proverb – Without rice, even the cleverest woman cannot cook – is true for innumerable Indians too. Eating simply boiled rice, is the world’s most important basic type of food. It’s also as delicious as pulao, biryani, idli, appams, kheer or puddings. The grain is available in a myriad varieties the world over. It’s not fattening, contrary to some urban myths; scientists and diet experts know that rice is good for you and can’t make you heavier. It mainly comprises carbohydrates that do not add kilos, if consumed in moderation. An average 100-gram serving of rice has only about 0.4 gram of fat. In fact, this serving has no more than 100 calories. And, writes noted culinary expert Tarla Dalal, – Rice has approximately the same calories as whole wheat and hence is not more fattening.
It’s easy to digest. Rice Janji is, therefore, a home remedy for diarrhoea. In fact, the Janji, with a few accompaniments, like coconut chutney and cooked beans, makes for a healthful meal that millions in Kerala enjoy. White or brown? Unpolished brown rice may not be as popular as white, but is a good source of complex carbohydrates providing starch and fibre. It takes relatively more time to digest allowing the body to consume the energy released over an extended period. Brown rice is also richer in vitamins, vitamin B, E and minerals like manganese and selenium, which make it more nutritious than the white rice varieties. However, white rice, too, has calcium and the essential B vitamins, niacin and thiamine. It’s healthy since rice has no cholesterol or sodium; it is safe for those suffering from hypertension. Diabetics, who prefer rice daily, could choose brown rice after checking with their doctor.
Q. Answer the following questions:
- Name two Indian dishes made out of rice.
- _____________ is a home remedy for diarrhoea.
- Pick out the word from the passage which means ‘a medicine or treatment for a disease’.
- Rice has approximately the same calories as whole _____________ .
- 100 gm serving of rice has not more than _____________ calories in it.
- What does brown rice contain?
- Vitamin A and B
- Vitamin B and C
- Vitamin B and D
- Vitamin B and E
- Which proverb says that ‘without rice, even the cleverest woman cannot cook’?
- It is safe for ________ patients to have rice daily and to choose brown rice in their diet.
- blood pressure
- Kheer, Idli
- Rice Janji
- Vitamin B and E