An adverb is a word or an expression that modifies a verb, adjective, determiner, clause, preposition, or sentence.
Adverb Exercises with Answers
Q. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of adverbs in the brackets:
- The new boy in class swims ________________ than I do. (fast)
- The bus will leave at 6.00 a.m. Can you come ________________? (early)
- It’s very noisy. We have to talk ________________. (loudly)
- He tried to solve the mathematical problems ________________ (patiently) than his classmates.
- The ballet dancer danced ________________ (gracefully) of all.
- The visitors stayed at the hotel ________________ (long) than expected.
- We could not walk any ________________ (far) as we were tired and hungry.
- Since you have done all your revision, I am sure you will answer the questions ________________ (confidently) than you did last year.
- more loudly
- more patiently
- the most gracefully
- more confidently
Q. Fill in with the correct adverbs:
- You will begin this work ___________.
- I go for a walk ___________ times a week.
- Drive a little ___________.
- You are not feeling ___________.
- She ___________ comes to see us.
- It was ___________ cold yesterday.
- Your answer has been written very ___________.
- I ___________ had my lunch.
- I get up ___________ in the morning.
- Behave with your elders ___________.
Q. Identify the Adverb and state its type:
- He always spoke the truth.
- Charlie, you can sit down.
- He often comes here.
- I shall see you soon.
- Never do it again.
- My mother visits her daily.
- We reached school late.
- The rose smells sweet.
- The horse galloped away.
- They went inside the room.
- Always — Adverb of number
- Down — Adverb of place
- Often — Adverb of number
- Soon — Adverb of time
- Again — Adverb of number
- Daily — Adverb of time
- Late — Adverb of time
- Sweet — Adverb of manner
- Away — Adverb of place
- Inside — Adverb of place
Q. Fill in the blanks with suitable Adverbs from the list given below:
fast, much, very, frequently, before, soon, never, here, soundly, all
- They visit us __________.
- He ___________ tells a lie.
- It is a ___________ cold day.
- You are __________ better now.
- I had heard this __________.