An article is a word used before a noun that indicates whether or not the reference is to a specific entity or entities or an unspecific one. The articles in English grammar are the and a/an.
Q. Fill in the blanks with suitable articles:
- Wisdom is ______ great virtue.
- ______wisdom of Tenali Ram is quite famous.
- Shakespeare was ______ great dramatist.
- ______ milk used to make this ice-cream is of a pure quality.
- What ______ shame! You have beaten ______ innocent child.
- Wisdom is a great virtue.
- The wisdom of Tenali Ram is quite famous.
- Shakespeare was a great dramatist.
- The milk used to make this ice-cream is of a pure quality.
- What a shame! You have beaten an innocent child.
Q. Fill in the blanks with ‘a’, ‘an’ or ‘the’.
- Here is __________ pen that you have been looking for.
- __________ industrial fair was inaugurated in __________ city.
- _________ moon was not visible in ____________ sky.
- Would you show me __________ letter you have received?
- Please get me _________ cake from the bakery.
- __________ more you read, __________ more you know.
- __________ sun rises in __________ east and sets in __________ west.
- __________ fox is __________ very clever animal.
- I read __________ interesting story in __________ Bible.
- __________ stone hit him on __________ head.
- An, the
- The, the
- The, the
- The, the, the
- The, a
- an, the
- A, the
Q. Insert ‘a’, ‘an’ or ‘the’ wherever necessary:
- I did not enjoy dinner he gave me.
- They were first to reach station.
- Sooner it is done, better it will be.
- I met him year ago at home of richest man of town.
- Black and white cow is for sale.
- Child was looking at pictures when there was knock at door.
- Last Sunday I went to school to see old teacher of mine.
- There is bag lying on back seat of car.
- She is artist married to European engineer.
- One-eyed man cannot get driving licence.
- I did not enjoy the dinner he gave me.
- They were the first to reach the station.
- The sooner it is done, the better it will be.
- I met him a year ago at the home of the richest man of the town.
- The black and white cow is for sale.
- The child was looking at the pictures when there was a knock at the door.
- Last Sunday I went to school to see an old teacher of mine.
- There is a bag lying on the back seat of the car.
- She is an artist married to a European engineer.
- A one-eyed man cannot get a driving license.