A clause is a group of words that includes a subject and a verb. A clause can be distinguished from a phrase, which does not contain a subject and a verb. Following are some exercises on Clauses.
Clauses Exercises with Answers
Q. Complete the following blanks, using suitable clause.
(as soon as his neck reached the noose, where there is a will, if grandmother were educated, if we are in it together, who has a tool, students who read in English, when grandmother died, she helped him, who was just eleven years old, when in Rome, who help themselves, whom the doctor revived. Where there’s smoke, is not to yield to it.)
- ______________, there’s fire.
- God helps those, ______________.
- A fool, ______________ , is still a fool.
- ______________ , there is a way.
- ______________ , do as Romans do.
- We are not afraid to die, ______________,
- ______________ , Khushwant Singh’s life would have been different.
- ______________ get good marks in CBSE English examinations.
- The baby, ______________ , was the only child of Morgan’s.
- The only way to get rid of temptation, ______________.
- ______________, the sparrows came to express their sorrow.
- Ranga liked Ratna, ______________ , at first sight.
- Although Virginia didn’t approve of Sir Simon’s behaviour, ______________.
- The ministers hanged the king, ______________ .
- Where there’s smoke
- who help themselves
- who has a tool
- Where there is a will
- When in Rome
- we are in it together
- If grandmother were educated
- Students who read in English
- whom the doctor revived
- is not to yield to it
- When the grandmother died
- just who was first eleven years old
- she helped him
- as soon as his neck reached the noose
Q. Combine the following sentences using clauses:
- I am reading a book at the moment. It is very interesting.
The book ____________.
- The sweets are delicious. I bought them yesterday.
The sweets ____________.
- The football match was very exciting. My friend played in it.
The football match ____________.
- The letter hasn’t arrived yet. I posted it three years ago.
The letter ____________.
- The book which I am reading at the moment, is very interesting.
- The sweets, that I bought yesterday, are delicious.
- The football match, which my friend played, was very exciting.
- The letter which I posted three days ago hasn’t arrived yet.
Q. Combine the following sets of sentence using clauses:
- You have met Ashok. He is my friend’s brother.
- A laser is a new device. It makes light shine in a red beam.
- He found the book interesting. It had been given to him by his friend.
- She blushed deeply. This was at my mentioning the matter.
- John locked up Delilah in a coal-cellar. He knew it would be impossible for her to escape from there.
- Ashok, whom you have met, is my friend’s brother.
- Laser, which is a new device, makes light shine in a red beam.
- He found the book, which had been given to him by friend.
- She blushed deeply when I mentioned the matter.
- John locked up Delilah in a coal-cellar from where he knew it would be impossible for her to escape.